Saturday, January 28, 2012

Got It Whipped!

The table to the left is an antique table that belonged to a long time neighbor.  So as not to harm it's charm we added a hand rail ball to the legs to make it more comfortable for our long legged friends to sit.  The casters can be replaced at any time. 

When I finish a rug by whipping with wool I lay it flat so I can see that it remains so.







 Machine hem of three rounds at 1 1/4 inches...one of straight stitching, and two of ziz zag.









 Small cording is used, and rolled tight towards the rug, then I baste it with upholstery thread.  I do use cording...it aids me in keeping my whipping even.  My preference is keeping the whipped edge even with the rug. This is a low hooked rug; normally my 6 to 8 cut works well with the cording I utilized.  I have to admit that in this case I used what I had.




Placing the needle as near my loops as possible and lifting the rug edge a bit to see where the needle will come out on the other side is the method that seems the neatest for me.
My preference would be for 100% wool 3 ply yarn because of the 4 cut wool rug height, but in this case I found a perfect match with a 4 ply and decided that since this will be an on the wall only rug I would go with it.



The corner should be done completely with the same length of yarn, and not end there and begin another.  I work to an 90 degree angle and then work my wool yarn backwards to do the corner...using the same hole to round the corner.  I have done square corners but I enjoy doing the rounded.






Jump right in with a discussion, your preferences, suggestions, your way!

Now to bid you good day....happy rug hooking...and woo hoo, I'm off to work on another rug.




The Ohio Buck

4 comments:

Julia said...

Thanks for the tutorial on whipping corners. Your rug looks great.
Happy Hooking. JB

Unknown said...

Wow, how beautiful and appreciate your patience in making this, plus your expertise. The tutorial is precise and easy to understand. Wish I had the nerve to try it. Cindy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Lee ~
WONDERFUL! I love how you've finished it. Oh, how I hate binding rugs...lol!
Hugs ;)
Lauren

leLoops said...

Julia thank you...Lauren, just remember you get to start something new when you get it done! ...Hi Cindy, jump in...you can rug hook in any direction you care to go! There are so many good teachers, many on line...and Ty for your comments!